Ever get frustrated over the price or availability of items you need to make life a little easier?
Let me count the ways.
- a throw or area rug – $39 to $400+ Sometimes more if you, incredibly, actually want it big enough to be able to walk on it
- a big waste or laundry bin – $49 to $150+ More if you want it to look a little attractive since it is holding trash or dirty linens
- outdoor furniture – $50 to $1,000 a chair!! And unless you want white or the brown swirl pattern, it’ll be 6 weeks…and an added “handling/delivery/set-up” fee
- something to hold your curtains back – “tie backs” $25 – $100+ a pair
- now I said it: curtains! $30 to $800+ per panel “And you say you have 3 bedrooms with 2 windows apiece plus 4 windows each in the dining and family rooms?” $$$$$
- a cosmetic caddy – $20 – $400 You can pick from that neon plastic dorm-room one all the way up to a vanity or dressing table, complete with chair
Well, fight back, sister! You don’t have to take what’s available!
Think: What would my great-great-grandma do?
Imagine: It’s 1889, you are out in the middle of the plains, no Target, no Bed Bath and Beyond, no HGTV.
“Well, what do I have/what’s free/cheap?” That’s right, you’d make do. You would make it out of whatever you had available.
And it can be etsy.com cute, too.
Here’s my new $0 cosmetic caddy:
And here are my $11.20 temporary pair of curtains: (Twine and washers. How Shovels and Rope!)